New Brunswick 

New Brunswick has a long history of crude oil and natural gas production.

New Brunswick’s Industry

map of New Brunswick

 

12 million

cubic feet/day in natural gas production in 2012

  

30

is the total number of natural gas wells producing

  

78

is the total estimated number of natural gas resource from shale measured by trillion cubic feet

  

324

is the total number of oil and natural gas wells drilled in the province

  

1.3 Million

is the total number hectares under tenure agreements

  

  

New Brunswick’s Resources

New Brunswick’s natural gas industry dates back to 1859 with the discovery of the Dover natural gas field located near Moncton. From 1912 to 1988, total production for the province was 27.9 billion cubic feet. And in 1909, the first successful natural gas well began production in Stoney Creek.

Since 1990, 40 natural gas wells have been drilled in the province. Production averages 12 million cubic feet per day. New Brunswick is home to the Frederick Brook Shale, which roughly stretches across the southeastern part of the province and is part of the Maritimes Basin. The government estimates that there are 80 trillion cubic feet (Tcf) of gas in place.

Today, Corridor Resources Inc. is operating New Brunswick’s McCully Field, a natural gas project near Sussex. In June 2007, Corridor completed the construction of a field gathering system, a gas plant and a pipeline lateral connecting the McCully Field to markets through the Maritimes and Northeast Pipeline.

The province has seen an increase in activity in recent years. Construction of the Maritimes and Northeast Pipeline, which provides access to markets in the Northeast United States, and other infrastructure developments have contributed significantly to the growth of the industry. The Government of New Brunswick is focusing on improving regulatory efficiency and effectiveness, and data management to help encourage exploration activity.

Canada’s largest oil refinery, with a capacity of 250,000 barrels per day, is located in Saint John.