Energy in Action (EIA) brings industry and communities together to learn about the oil and gas industry and to care for the natural environment.
Understanding the Nature of Our Business
EIA provides CAPP member companies with a hands-on, tailor-made community relations initiative that brings industry and communities together, with the mutual goal of teaching students about the oil and gas industry and environmental stewardship and building co-operative and sustainable relationships.
Since 2004, 60 companies and close to 2,200 company volunteers have participated in EIA events in 60 different communities and 80 schools across Canada. Collectively, they have planted almost 8,000 trees and shrubs, and taught nearly 8000 students, teachers and community residents about the petroleum industry and the benefits of careful resource development.
Through EIA, CAPP member companies partner with local schools, and/or service groups, community leaders and local businesses to participate in one-day educational sessions and environmental renewal projects in rural oil and gas communities across Canada.
All CAPP producer member companies and any associate CAPP members can participate in Energy in Action events.
In 2012, the cost to companies is $2,000 per community, along with three hours of volunteer time for two or three local field staff on the day of the event. The fee covers:
- Educational presentations and environmental activities at the community school
- Project management (see CAPP's role below)
- Promotional materials and library books
- Photography - participants have access to event photos for use in company literature
- Media promotion
- Catered lunch
Each EIA event is led by a CAPP member company community team lead who is the main contact during the planning of the event. Community team members are expected to
- Understand the scope of the project and their role
- Communicate their companies' involvement through internal communications (e-mails, newsletters, etc.)
- Ensure local field staff are aware of the plan and their role in ‘day-of’ activities’ (supported by the EIA community team lead)
Energy in Action provides a great opportunity for companies to:
- Contribute to community and school environmental renewal activities in communities where they operate
- Strengthen our community relationships, which can lead to future collaborations on projects such as joint open houses and community investment initiatives
- Educate community youth about environmental sustainability, safety and our industry’s commitment to Stewardship
- Meet and work collaboratively with our industry peers
CAPP’s Role in EIA
EIA contributes to community and school
environmental renewal activities like planting
trees and shrubs on school grounds
The EIA program delivers energy literacy sessions that align to the DivII social studies and science cirriculums.
To recruit member companies to participate in EIA in the communities where they have operations
- To facilitate the EIA steering committee composed of community team-leads
- To guide and support the EIA steering committee in the development of the annual plan
- To help community team leads develop and execute environmental activities, tailor-made for each community
- To manage the accounting function for the project
- To develop template material for use by all community teams in execution of their activities
For more information, please contact [email protected].