The Oil Sands Community Alliance (OSCA) pursues innovative solutions to build thriving communities and enables the responsible growth of Canada’s oil sands. We use a collaborative approach to facilitate engagement among stakeholders including municipalities, government and industry. Collaboration builds relationships and creates opportunities for dialogue, information exchange and shared success.
OSCA is a separate regional organization, linked to the Canadian Association of Petroleum Producers (CAPP) for administration and operational issues and acquires policy direction from CAPP Oil Sands Executive Policy Group and strategic direction from the Oil Sands CEO Council. In addition, OSCA receives strategic direction on key operational issues from the OSCA Steering Group.
OSCA is seeking a community liaison coordinator to join a small team of OSCA professionals who will take on an important role in facilitating community engagement activities with key stakeholders in the Alberta oil sands area.
The successful candidate will be a skilled and experienced professional with a strong project management background who will help implement OSCA priorities while supporting members and engaging with valued stakeholders. The ability to work within all levels of the organization, identify, map and profile stakeholders, build relationships and analyze opportunities is key to success in this position.
This is a full time one year contract position located in Fort McMurray, Alberta and reports to the Executive Director for OSCA.
- Maintain a pulse on and respond as needed to regional issues including Aboriginal employment and business development; community health and well-being; other issues as they relate to OSCA’s priorities
- Work directly with key municipalities (Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo, Lac La Biche and Municipal District of Opportunity) and attend council meetings as required
- Establish and maintain relationships with key stakeholders in the social profit sector and community leaders
- Attend social profit sector engagement sessions
- Maintain a calendar of events for OSCA
- Participate/represent OSCA at a variety of multi-stakeholder meetings and events
- Be an ambassador of OSCA
- Work closely on issues and opportunities important to OSCA members in collaboration with OSCA member companies
- Assist with and coordinate varied community engagement activities with key stakeholders
- Support OSCA task groups by coordinating and facilitating meetings, taking notes, following-up on action items, scheduling presenters, providing direct support to task group chairs
- Support the communications team with newsletter preparation, website content and social media
Qualifications and Experience:
- Three to five years’ experience in a similar role; post-secondary education, preferably in political science, public policy, communications, or public relations or equivalent experience
- Highly motivated, team oriented individual with strong strategic thinking and communication skills
- A self-starter with the ability to work with minimal supervision
- Community relations experience and familiarity with energy literacy a strong asset
- Ability to develop collaborative relationships with various stakeholders
- Experience in engaging and working with all levels of government and Aboriginal communities with respect to resource development
- Analytical proficiency to determine needs and opportunities and recommend action and response
- A strong understanding of the oil sands industry and challenges/opportunities that exist
- Proficient with Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Outlook, etc.
- Possesses functional knowledge and/or personal experience with WordPress.
- Knowledge and experience manage various social media channels
- Comfortable with independent & extensive travel, and evening/weekend work (some travel required to Lac La Biche, MD of Opportunity, Edmonton and Calgary)
- Valid driver’s license
- Must be eligible to work in Canada
Personal Skills and Qualities:
- Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills
- Proficient in facilitating meetings, public speaking and community engagement
- Leadership, negotiation, stakeholder engagement, presentation and facilitation skills are required
- Can independently organize, manage and prioritize multiple assignments within tight timelines
- Strong ability to develop and foster positive relationships and strategic partnerships while utilizing consensus building and conflict resolution capabilities
Please send your cover letter and résumé in confidence to email@example.com by May 12, 2019 with “Community Liaison Coordinator” in the subject line. We thank all who apply; however, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.