Canadian oil and gas, which is produced with some of the highest environmental and human rights standards in the world should be the supplier of choice to meet growing global energy needs. To make this a reality, Canada will require a policy environment that supports the innovation and global competitiveness of its upstream oil and gas sector.
The Canadian Association of Petroleum Producers (CAPP) represents companies, large and small, that explore for, develop and produce natural gas and crude oil throughout Canada. CAPP’s member companies produce about 80 per cent of Canada’s natural gas and crude oil. CAPP’s mission, on behalf of the Canadian upstream crude oil and natural gas industry, is to advocate for and enable economic competitiveness and safe, environmentally and socially responsible performance. We are currently seeking a Coordinator, Government Relations who will join a dynamic team of professionals based in Ottawa, focused on advocating to the Government of Canada on behalf of Canadian energy producers.
Position SummaryThe Government Relations Coordinator will work closely with CAPP staff and members to enhance the effectiveness of our Ottawa based activities. We are looking for an individual who has attention to detail, strong writing skills, discretion and is comfortable working in a vibrant, collaborative and fast paced environment.
This role is permanent and located at our Ottawa, Ontario office reporting directly to the Vice President, Government Relations.
- Provide administrative support to the Vice President, Government Relations including calendar management, document preparation, meeting support, recording of minutes and financial and other reporting.
- Responsible for the organization of relevant databases and contact matrices for advocacy and outreach stakeholders while working with other government relations staff to ensure current information is accurately documented following meetings or other changes.
- Monitor and track government appointments, consultation activities, announcements and parliamentary processes on a wide variety of issues and provide up-to-date information to relevant government relations and policy staff leads.
- Support the preparation of advocacy materials, including briefing materials, leave-behind packages, presentation materials, talking points, and other materials as necessary.
- Coordinate staff and member activities associated with Ottawa-based sponsorship events to ensure successful outcomes.
- Undertake key projects as identified by the government relations team, including research projects, Hill Days, outreach activities to parliamentarians, senators or federal department staff.
- Assist in other administrative or office management support when required.
Qualifications and Experience
- Bilingual French and English, preferred
- Post-secondary education in political science, public administration, environmental or resource studies or other relevant field
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Proficiency in managing multiple projects at once
- Knowledge of parliamentary procedures and processes
- 3 to 5 years of relevant work experience
- Must be eligible to work legally in Canada.
- Self-starter who is continuously learning
- Team player with a commitment to client service
- Detail focused pursuing high quality results
- Enjoy working independently, quickly and under pressure to meet deadlines
- Personable, persistent, confident and comfortable working with all levels within the organization
- Travel may be required
- After hours and weekend work may be required
Canadian Association of Petroleum Producers is an equal opportunity employer. In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005, upon request, accommodation will be provided by CAPP throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities.