We are seeking a manager, media relations and issues management to join a dynamic team of professionals within the communications team. This position is responsible for managing and executing a multi-faceted media relations program on behalf of Canada’s upstream oil and natural gas industry, including proactive management of key issues affecting the reputation of Canada’s oil and natural gas sector.
This is a full-time permanent position located in Calgary, Alberta and reports to the vice president, communications.
Position Summary:The manager media relations and issues management leads and motivates teams to do their best and to think ahead of the next issue. This position requires a motivated individual who looks for opportunities to build pro-active relationships with media, and opportunities to pro-actively deliver and discuss issues at the heart of the challenges the industry faces today with other pertinent stakeholders.
The role requires a broad range of skills in the areas of communication, critical thinking, and technical research; the ability to create evidence based content, manage high profile issues, as well as build and maintain relationships and networks with media and member companies.
The manager of media relations and issues management works collaboratively with a high functioning team comprised of two media relations advisors, one issues management advisor and one professional writer.
- provide strategic direction on proactive media opportunities and sound counsel on reactive media issues
- drive the voice of Canada’s oil and natural gas industry in the media
- recognize opportunities to generate evidence-based content that improves the tone of coverage in the media
- collaborate with member companies to develop content, messaging and action plans on high profile issues
- measure the effectiveness of various media initiatives and overall media relations and issues management strategy
- project management of major industry advocacy initiatives
- manage budget, key milestones and personnel to deliver the most efficient and effective media relations and issues management program
- must be eligible to work in Canada legally
Skills and Qualifications:
- a post-secondary degree in communications or a related field
- seven to ten years of media experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- minimum five to seven years of leadership experience in managing teams
- bilingual is preferred
- first-rate writing and editing skills
- excellent project management skills
- working knowledge of media tools
- professional proficiency writing Canadian Press style
- extensive experience in creating and editing media materials
- a leader and a team player with the ability to provide consistent effort with limited supervision
- background in the petroleum sector is preferred but not required
Personal Skills and Qualities:
- strong understanding of the issues facing today’s energy sector
- solid network of relationships with media
- confidence and ability to deliver messages and content to pertinent stakeholders
- proven ability to meet the needs of multiple clients
- capable to deliver on multiple deadlines and commitments, on time
- motivated to make a difference
- innovative team player
- travel will be required
- after hours and weekend work may be necessary
Please send your cover letter and résumé in confidence to firstname.lastname@example.org by March 31, 2019 with “manager, media relations and issues management” in the subject line. We thank all who apply; however, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.